Thursday, June 19, 2008

Foundations Bible Curriculum

I was planning on writing my own curriculum this year based on Gregory Dickow's Fast From Wrong Thinking. I think I may still do that, but I have found a Bible curriculum that has a child read through the whole Bible over the course of 3 years.

Anne Elliott has written a curriculum called Foundations. Volume 1 is called Preparation for Christ and covers the Old Testament, Volume 2 is called Christ Our Messiah and covers the life of Christ and the book of Acts, and Volume 3 is called Christ Our Hope and covers the epistles of the Old Testament.

It piqued my interest because we have not attended a church that has a formal Sunday School program that covers the stories of the Bible in years. Our youngest 3 boys attend Children's Church, but that mostly covers *life lessons* and practical applications of Biblical principles. That's not a bad thing, but personally I like knowing at least a little something about all of the stories in the Bible...and I would like to pass that on to my children.

Anne was asking for people to critique the curriculum, and since it fills a need I have and the 2nd volume will fit in with the Mystery of History volume we'll be doing in the fall, I volunteered. She sent me the ebook, and I have just glanced through it quickly...but so far I am impressed.

Each week there is a memory verse, for which she has included a *formula* of sorts to help the child memorize. She also has other suggestions in the Appendix. Then there's a passage to read aloud. She has also referenced these passages to Calvary Chapel's coloring and activity pages, which I LOVE! There are other activities to choose from for each day, based on the child's abilities. Finally, there is an extra reading assignment for older children.

I'm excited to get started with this curriculum, although I really want to hold off until I get my next Mystery of History volume.

Oh....and Anne's website has some awesome resources listed on it for different subjects. I have lots to look over for next year...but it looks like I may have found a FREE Grammar curriculum and Writing curriculum...and a Science curriculum for the younger boys. There's so much to look through, I'm sure I'll find more! Her website is http://www.annesschoolplace.com/index.htm. It's well worth looking through!

No comments: